Weekly study4 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Sports Performance: Different Approaches to Sports Coaching
Develop your approach to coaching with insights from contemporary research
This course from The Open University explores new and emerging approaches to sports coaching and aims to make you more curious and inquisitive about coaching.
Over four weeks, you’ll gain skills that will expand your understanding of a coach’s responsibilities in today’s sporting environment; responsibilities that go far beyond just a focus on winning.
Explore the role of a modern sports coach
Through the invaluable insight of a leading Open University sport and fitness expert, you’ll identify more about how coaches learn, the different ways they learn, and the role of the people who support their learning.
By examining different approaches to the way that skilled performance is developed, you will appreciate the role of a coach as a learning designer and a creator of environments that improve performance.
Gain essential knowledge to promote children and young people’s rights in sport
This course also focuses on the importance of children’s rights and why everybody working with children should ensure that every child is involved in decisions about them. You’ll discover how children’s rights influence coaching, and how coaches and all adults have a duty to respect, protect, and fulfil children’s rights in sport at all times.
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to challenge your existing beliefs, have a fresh perspective on sports coaching, and an increased awareness of coaching practice.
- The role of the coach in modern sport
- How coaches learn and develop
- How coaches support and guide individuals to develop their sports performance
- The role of the coach in supporting and promoting children’s rights
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Evaluate the role of coaches in modern sport
- Identify how you learn and develop as an adult or coach
- Compare different approaches to designing effective coaching sessions
- Investigate children's rights and how they should inform coaching
Who is the course for?
You will gain most benefit from the course if you are actively leading, coaching or supporting athletes, such as:
- Professional and amateur athletes, coaches and support teams
- Those with a curiosity for watching and understanding sports performances
- Sports educators
- Parents of children engaged in sports
- Strength and conditioning coaches or fitness instructors
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends