Weekly study5 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Start Your Own Business: Your Business Idea
Develop your business idea into a viable business model
You’ve got an idea for your business, but how can you be sure it will work? This two-week course will encourage you to think critically about all aspects of your business idea so you can be confident it will be viable in the current market.
Understand the challenges of starting a new venture
There are some important differences between working for someone else and for yourself. On this course, you’ll discover what they are and what they mean for you. You’ll also be encouraged to think about the range of ambitions you could have for your venture.
Hone your idea using the Business Model Canvas
With guidance from Open University academics and using industry examples, you’ll assess the different ways you can make money from your idea and discover resources to improve its chances of success.
Using a framework known as the Business Model Canvas, you’ll clarify how your venture will generate a compelling value proposition. You’ll learn how to audit your resources and identify how these may need to evolve to meet your business needs.
Gain the skills to write a compelling business plan
You’ll gain practical skills to help you write a persuasive business plan, including a well-refined ‘elevator pitch’. With this, you’ll be able to confidently communicate with stakeholders such as customers, financiers, suppliers, professional advisors, and members of your personal network to bring them on board with you.
- Presenting your venture in compelling terms to others
- Defining your ambitions and the business functions you intend to perform
- Configuring your idea to launch a viable and sustainable business
- Creating a business plan and refining your elevator pitch
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify what’s at stake when starting a business
- Explore how your capabilities and mindset will contribute to the success of your business
- Perform an audit of the resources that you bring to your venture
- Develop the most appropriate business model for your venture
- Produce a business plan and promote your venture to stakeholders
Who is the course for?
Whether you plan to create a full-time venture or part time ‘side-hustle’ alongside a day job; you’re starting a brick-and-mortar business or an online venture; or you plan to utilise established platforms such as Etsy, Amazon and the like, this course will teach you how to get started.
It is suitable for learners at all levels, whether you haven’t ventured into self-employment and entrepreneurship before or have previously run a business and wish to refresh your skills for the current landscape.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends