Weekly study2 hours
Step into Construction
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Start your career in construction
Have you ever considered a career in construction but not sure if it’s right for you? This two-week course will introduce you to the variety of roles available in the industry, and will give you the knowledge and skills you need to get started.
You’ll gain an insight into the sector in the UK and find out which parts are growing, and where you can take advantage of the emerging job opportunities to begin a career in construction*. *Subject to eligibility to work or study in the UK.
Understand the different types of jobs in construction
Using employer insights, you’ll gain knowledge from those working in the industry and examine the different parts of the construction sector including skilled trades, and supervisory and professional jobs in the industry. With this knowledge, you can identify which job roles you may be interested in.
You’ll explore the growing areas in the sector, the pathways you can take into construction and possible progression routes.
As well as assessing employment options, you’ll get insights on what it means being self-employed and running your own construction business, and how to go about searching for a job.
Gain a digital credential from City & Guilds
At the end of the course, you will be invited to test your knowledge and, if you pass, gain a digital credential from City & Guilds to prove your learning.
Get access to learning opportunities and then jobs
You can use your digital credential to search for a suitable course to get the training you will need to move into the construction industry and look at a range of jobs that could be open to you once you have the necessary skills to work in the sector. On our signposting page, you will also have exclusive access to a selection of employers who would like to hear from you once you are job-ready.
- Introduction to the construction industry – the role of construction in society
- Starting out – trades, crafts and construction skills
- Beginning your construction journey – qualifications, experience and routes into the industry
- Developing your career in construction – opportunities for progression
- Running a construction business
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Reflect on whether a career in construction is for you
- Investigate the role of health and safety, and the importance of diversity in the industry
- Identify entry level routes into construction, as well as key trades and their responsibilities
- Explore the role of training and qualifications, and the meaning of competency
- Explore potential career pathways, from supervisory roles to senior leadership, and consider the skills needed to run your own business
Who is the course for?
This course will help anyone considering a career in construction in the UK. It will introduce you to the sector and will help you understand the most in-demand employment and progression opportunities to those eligible to work in the UK.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.