Falling Down: Problematic Substance Use in Later Life
Duration 5 weeks
Weekly study 5 hours
Why join the course?
Older people face specific issues in relation to problematic substance use. Demography and a growing ageing population make understanding these ever more important. But older people’s problems tend to be more invisible, both in care services and in substance use services.
This online course brings these issues together from a health, social care, informal carer and public health point of view. It draws on international perspectives from experts in the UK, New Zealand, Australia and the USA, to compare and share knowledge, skills and best practice with the community.
What topics will you cover?
- Introduction to the issues concerning problematic substance use for older people, context, causes, recognition.
- Comparison and sharing of knowledge, skills and expertise across different disciplines as well as internationally.
- Identifying interventions and best practices to tackle the issues and promote health and wellbeing in ageing populations.
- Developing a community of practice and networking on the issues.
When would you like to start?
Who is the course for?
- Professionals and support staff working in the area of problematic substance use.
- Professionals and support staff working in ageing.
- Older people, families and their community based networks who may be dealing with issues in their day to day lives.
- Educators who wish to build their knowledge across disciplines and internationally.
Who will you learn with?
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLsubstanceuse to talk about this course on social media.