Why join the course?
Older people face specific issues in relation to problematic substance use. Demography and a growing ageing population make understanding these ever more important. But older people’s problems tend to be more invisible, both in care services and in substance use services.
This online course brings these issues together from a health, social care, informal carer and public health point of view. It draws on international perspectives from experts in the UK, New Zealand, Australia and the USA, to compare and share knowledge, skills and best practice with the community.
What topics will you cover?
- Introduction to the issues concerning problematic substance use for older people, context, causes, recognition.
- Comparison and sharing of knowledge, skills and expertise across different disciplines as well as internationally.
- Identifying interventions and best practices to tackle the issues and promote health and wellbeing in ageing populations.
- Developing a community of practice and networking on the issues.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
- Professionals and support staff working in the area of problematic substance use.
- Professionals and support staff working in ageing.
- Older people, families and their community based networks who may be dealing with issues in their day to day lives.
- Educators who wish to build their knowledge across disciplines and internationally.
Who will you learn with?
Founded in the 1960s, Middlesex University Business School is one of the largest Business Schools in the UK.
Addiction organisations and practitioners can utilise our evidence-based workforce development solutions and support to improve and develop welcoming, hopeful and effective services.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLsubstanceuse to talk about this course on social media.