- Duration3 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineLearn at your own pace
- Extra BenefitsFrom $49
Sustainable Energy Access for Communities
Explore sustainable solutions to address the challenges of energy access
There are 789 million people around the world who live without access to electricity. In addition, 2.8 billion people globally have no access to clean and safe cooking fuels and technologies.
On this three-week course, you’ll explore the meaning of energy access and how to overcome its challenges to provide safe and clean energy for communities around the world.
Since the launch of the United Nations 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the international community has been working tirelessly to address the energy access challenge. But this cannot be achieved unless we find ways to inspire and support entire communities to transition to renewable energy.
To do this, you’ll identify the right technological solutions and the many sides to renewable energy, including technology, behaviour change, economics, and community dynamics.
Examine the use of renewable energy sources
The course will help you address energy efficiency and how communities can save both money and energy with the right solutions.
Examining different business models, you’ll identify several renewable energy and off-grid community solutions, such as solar PV, wind, hydro, bio-gas, and even bio-electricity.
You’ll also analyse a mini-grid case study and look into household energy consumption to understand where savings can be made.
Understand the importance of community engagement
When addressing energy access, it’s vital to consider the ways this can impact the wider community.
You’ll examine case studies and learn innovative techniques to promote community engagement and help you make a change in your community.
Finally, you will take part in a peer review of your plans to help your community move closer to a renewable energy future.
Week 1: The meaning of energy access
- Challenges for renewable energy
- Defining access to energy
- Moving to clean cooking
- Alternative energy futures: an integrated approach
- On or off grid? A debate
Week 2: Renewable energy solutions for communities
- Energy efficiency: saving money, saving energy
- Exploring renewable options for communities
- Analysing household energy consumption
- Business models for off grid community solutions
- Mini grid case study and game
Week 3: Engaging the community
- The importance of community engagement in the transition to renewable energy
- Case studies in community engagement
- A citizen’s assembly on energy in Lebanon
- Creative ways to support stakeholder decision making
- Planning a community engagement activity
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the complex levels of access to energy and the relationship between access to energy and meeting the SDGs
- Assess renewable energy solutions for communities
- Identify a path to energy transition for you and your community
- Experiment with energy efficiency
- Discuss business models for renewable energy solutions
- Explore approaches to engaging the community to move towards renewable energy
- Produce a plan for community engagement with renewable energy
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone with an interest in renewable energy transitions. You could be an aspiring community activist or leader, a professional working in renewable energy, or a government professional with a role in renewable energy.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.