Skip to 0 minutes and 5 secondsWhat is a system? A system is formed from a set of interacting parts, every part affects, and is affected by, every other part Systems have subsystems. Sometimes systems go wrong. So how can we get the best out of a system, and how can we prevent systems from failing? Systems thinking looks at the interactions and not just the parts. It sees the whole. This insight alone can help you understand problems, and can help you avoid systems failure. But some systems are inherently complex. These complex systems require specialised methods and computer tools to understand, design and manage them. This course will introduce you to systems thinking, and show how it can be used to address problems in our increasingly complex world.
Why join the course?
Systems thinking provides theory and practical tools for seeking solutions to messy social and organisational problems at local, regional and global levels.
A system’s behaviour emerges from interactions between its elements. Systems thinking starts with qualitative diagrams but as the number of elements, relations and feedback loops increases we need the computational approach of complex systems science.
Using real-world examples the course provides methods and tools for your own examples, enabling you to apply systems and complexity thinking in your personal and professional life.
Who is the course for?
This course is suitable for:
- managers in the private and public sectors responsible for commercial and policy problem-solving in their organisation;
- scientists wanting to take their research into practical applications;
- officers of organisations such as UNESCO, the European Commission, and ministries in national governments;
- young people wanting to engage in problem solving;
- citizens wanting to formulate arguments for or against top-down policies;
- or members of the general public motivated by curiosity or wanting to understand better the world we live in.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLsystemsthinking to talk about this course on social media.