Duration 3 weeks
Weekly study 1 hour
Extra benefits From $59 Find out more
Gain the tips, tools and confidence to have conversations that could save lives.
Talking about cancer can be difficult. You might be worried that you’ll say the wrong thing or that you simply don’t know enough about the subject.
This course draws on the knowledge of Cancer Research UK experts. Over 3 weeks you’ll find out how to encourage people to make healthy lifestyle changes, access local services or visit their doctor promptly if they notice changes to their body. The skills you gain may also be useful in talking to people already affected by cancer.
Learning is through quizzes, articles, discussions and videos demonstrating conversational dos and don’ts.
What topics will you cover?
- Key facts and health messages about cancer prevention, screening and early diagnosis, and how to explain them.
- Confidence for having conversations about cancer that help others take positive action.
- Identification of barriers to making lifestyle changes or seeing a doctor.
- Communication methods that overcome barriers and avoid building defensiveness and fear.
- Methods of questioning that help people make decisions for themselves.
- Identifying how our own feelings can affect conversations.
- Directing people to the right places for advice and support.
- Creating an action plan for talking about cancer.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
The course is suitable for anyone with an interest in the topic and aims to help with both personal and professional conversations about cancer and health.
The course is particularly relevant for those working or volunteering in the following areas: health advocacy, care and support work, community health centres and services, GP surgeries, mental health, nursing, occupational therapy, oncology, osteopathy, pharmacy, physiotherapy, dentistry, public health, radiotherapy, sexual health, social work, or any other healthcare.
The course does not require any previous experience of this subject.
Who will you learn with?
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLTalkingCancer to talk about this course on social media.