Enhance your KS2 science teaching with teaching CPD on life processes in biology
This course will equip you with the knowledge and skills to inspire your primary science pupils with world-class biology teaching on the subject of body systems and life processes.
Develop your scientific knowledge for teaching key stage 2 biology
Life processes is a key subject within the biology element of the primary science national curriculum and includes the study of the heart, the circulatory system, and digestion.
On this course, you’ll build your knowledge of body systems processes of the body so that you’re able to effectively teach the ‘Animals, including humans’ component of the national curriculum in England.
Help 7-11-year-old pupils understand the circulatory system and digestion process
You’ll explore the common challenges that may arise amongst key stage 2 pupils encountering the heart, circulatory system, and digestive system for the first time.
You’ll learn how to structure your teaching to successfully navigate these challenges.
You’ll also have the chance to learn about practical biology activities you can use in your classroom to inspire your pupils whilst developing their understanding of the concept of living processes.
Access engaging and fun biology primary science resources
This course is delivered by the National STEM Learning Centre, a leading organisation offering teacher CPD, career support, and education in STEM.
You’ll learn from the research of primary STEM subject specialists, as well as secondary science experts experienced in teaching science in primary education.
- Why good subject knowledge is essential when teaching primary science.
- Developing subject knowledge for the biology content of the primary science curriculum.
- Understanding children’s misconceptions about living processes and identifying teaching strategies to identify and overcome them.
- Subject knowledge to teach living processes, including: the heart, circulatory system and digestion.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the importance of good subject knowledge when teaching primary science.
- Develop personal subject knowledge of body processes and systems to teach this topic as part of the biology primary science curriculum.
- Apply subject knowledge of biology to class teaching of pupils aged 5-11 years old.
- Explore practical activities to teach scientific concepts in the primary curriculum.
- Identify common misconceptions children may have in primary science concepts.
- Develop teaching strategies to identify and overcome children’s misconceptions.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for primary teachers, trainee teachers, and teaching assistants for primary education (pupils aged 5-11 years) who want to develop their biology classification subject knowledge.
The course refers to the English National Curriculum, but the subject matter is equally transferable to other curricula, and you’ll be encouraged to explore connections with your own national curriculum.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get: