Enhance your KS2 biology classes with CPD from STEM learning
To teach primary science effectively primary education teachers must have sound subject knowledge, but many primary teachers are not science subject experts.
This course will equip you with the key subject knowledge required to effectively teach the biology elements of the primary science national curriculum, focusing on the topic of classification.
Develop your understanding of the classification of living things
Classification is how we group living things based on features, similarities, and differences.
You’ll build your personal knowledge of classification in order to effectively teach the biology content in the primary science curriculum to pupils aged 7-11.
Discover KS2 science activities for teaching classification
Through the course, you’ll explore common misconceptions about classification that children may have.
You’ll learn how to identify and help KS2 pupils overcome these misconceptions using practical teaching strategies and activities.
Get teacher CPD for teaching science in the primary national curriculum
The National STEM Learning Centre is the biggest provider of education, teacher CPD, and careers support in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) subjects.
This course has been created by primary STEM subject specialists in collaboration with secondary science experts.
Your educating team are all experienced teachers themselves and all of the course content is developed using up-to-date research and insights.
- Why good subject knowledge is essential when teaching primary science.
- Developing subject knowledge for the biology content of the primary science curriculum.
- Understanding children’s misconceptions about classification and identifying teaching strategies to identify and overcome them.
- Subject knowledge to teach classification, including classifying animals, plants and grouping by invertebrate and vertebrate.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the importance of good subject knowledge when teaching primary science.
- Develop personal subject knowledge of classification to teach this topic as part of the biology primary science curriculum.
- Apply subject knowledge of biology to class teaching of pupils aged 5-11 years old.
- Explore practical activities to teach scientific concepts in the primary curriculum.
- Identify common misconceptions children may have in primary science concepts.
- Develop teaching strategies to identify and overcome children’s misconceptions.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for primary teachers, trainee teachers, and teaching assistants for primary education (pupils aged 5-11 years) who want to develop their biology classification subject knowledge.
The course refers to the English National Curriculum, but teachers will be able to apply subject knowledge to their own curricula.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get: