- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineTry this course for free
- Extra BenefitsFrom $74
The Impacts of Tourism
Learn how alternate forms of tourism contribute to sustainability in the sector
On this course, you’ll look at tourism’s global impact in relation to the world’s environmental, economic and cultural issues.
You’ll be given the chance to evaluate the complex political, social, and environmental contexts in which tourism operates as you explore the policies and management strategies that exist to control the impact of tourism.
You’ll discover corporate social responsibility and environmental impact assessments and auditing.
You’ll also have the chance to discover carrying capacity and how to evaluate the effectiveness of different forms of responsible and sustainable tourism.
- Social, environmental, economic and cultural impacts of tourism
- Ways of measuring impacts
- Alternative forms of tourism
- Analysis of the extent of which of these forms effectively address tourism impacts
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the social, environmental, economic and cultural impacts of tourism
- Understand the policies and management strategies aimed at meeting sustainability objectives in relation to controlling tourism impacts
- Critically appraise the extent to which alternative forms of tourism contribute to promoting sustainable tourism development
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for students who have a background in social sciences, arts and humanities, business studies, tourism and hospitality, and those with a background in sustainable development.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!
How do degrees work on FutureLearn?
Which program and degree is this course part of?
This course is part of the program Sustainable Tourism Management, which is one of the building blocks that leads to a degree in Master of Business Administration (Sustainable Tourism).