- Duration6 weeks
- Weekly study5 hours
- 100% onlineTry this course for free
- Extra BenefitsFrom $59
The Mind is Flat: The Shocking Shallowness of Human Psychology
Explore the forces shaping human behaviour
We are often told that our minds are shaped by ‘deep’ factors – subconscious motives or hidden beliefs that can be uncovered through therapy, lab experiments, or brain scanning.
While not entirely incorrect, the brain also improvises – inventing these motives at the moment of decision. Understanding this could help make the world a better place.
On this course, you’ll explore why we take risks, and why we fear them. You’ll learn from top behavioural experts in numerous fields about how our minds are ‘flatter’ than we think, uncovering the influence of marketing and peer behaviour in the process.
Now an award-winning book: The Mind is Flat: The Illusion of Mental Depth and The Improvised Mind (Winner, American Association of Publishers PROSE award for best book in Clinical Psychology, 2019).
- Why we take risks and why we fear them
- How people succeed or fail to work with other people successfully
- How our behaviour, governed by a plethora of complicated psychological forces, makes sense at all
- The theory that we are creating an improvised character and trying to stay in our role
- How we can make society more coherent and create a better world
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
Who is the course for?
No special knowledge or previous experience of studying is required.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLthemindisflat to talk about this course on social media.