- Duration6 weeks
- Weekly study5 hours
- 100% onlineLearn at your own pace
- Extra BenefitsFrom $64
The Mind is Flat: The Shocking Shallowness of Human Psychology
Explore the forces shaping human behaviour
We are often told that our minds are shaped by ‘deep’ factors – subconscious motives or hidden beliefs that can be uncovered through therapy, lab experiments, or brain scanning.
While not entirely incorrect, the brain also improvises – inventing these motives at the moment of decision. Understanding this could help make the world a better place.
On this course, you’ll explore why we take risks, and why we fear them. You’ll learn from top behavioural experts in numerous fields about how our minds are ‘flatter’ than we think, uncovering the influence of marketing and peer behaviour in the process.
Now an award-winning book: The Mind is Flat: The Illusion of Mental Depth and The Improvised Mind (Winner, American Association of Publishers PROSE award for best book in Clinical Psychology, 2019).
- Why we take risks and why we fear them
- How people succeed or fail to work with other people successfully
- How our behaviour, governed by a plethora of complicated psychological forces, makes sense at all
- The theory that we are creating an improvised character and trying to stay in our role
- How we can make society more coherent and create a better world
Who is the course for?
No special knowledge or previous experience of studying is required.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please enable all cookies and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.