Explore the nutritional science behind what you eat
Have you ever looked at a food label and wondered what kilocalories really mean? Would you like to know more about fat, protein or carbohydrates, and how our bodies process them? This online nutrition course provides the answers. You’ll explore biology, finding out how our digestive system and bloodstream process and transport food. You’ll use physics to work out how much energy food contains. And through chemistry, you’ll discover the role that acid and enzymes play in digestion.
Finally, you’ll consider the science behind dietary advice and why we’re facing an obesity epidemic worldwide.
What topics will you cover?
- Basic chemistry of protein, fat and carbohydrate components of food
- Basic biology of the digestive system, how enzymes function and how products of digestion are used
- Measurements of nutrients in prepared food and interpretation of food labels
- Measurement of the energy available from food
- Constituents of a healthy diet and analysis of dietary advice
- The obesity epidemic and aspects of different diets throughout the world
Who is the course for?
This course is intended for anyone with a general interest in science or nutrition and does not require any prior experience of studying this subject.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLnutriscience to talk about this course on social media.