Build a thorough understanding of evidence-based practice
Evidence is vital to advances in patient care and management and evidence-based practice is firmly established as the gold standard for care delivery in all aspects of healthcare. However, simply accepting the evidence is not acceptable.
On this course, you will explore the preconceptions of evidence-based practice, challenging and evaluating the theory behind it. You will also reflect on its influence on your role and the care you provide. Through the course you will develop the skills needed to access and examine the evidence that supports and affects healthcare practice.
What topics will you cover?
• The concept of evidence-based nursing practice
• The hierarchies of evidence
• Knowledge and skills for evidence-banded nursing practice
• Sources of therapeutic knowledge
• The influence of evidence and knowledge on nursing practice
• Critical-thinking theory in the context of evidence-based nursing practice
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate an understanding of evidence-based nursing practice
- Explore what evidence tells us about changing practice
- Engage in critical discussion on the concepts of the evidence base for practice
- Explore the influences of the empirical, ethical, personal and aesthetic impact of evidence
Who is the course for?
This course is for any healthcare professional involved in patient care at any level.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!