Weekly study3 hours
Understanding Financial Concepts
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Support your professional development in the finance industry
On this two-week course, you’ll gain an insightful introduction to a variety of finance topics that are studied at postgraduate level. This will give you a taste of what to expect when studying the Postgraduate Certificate in Finance from The Open University.
You will understand what’s meant by risk and return, and how and why companies use stock markets. You will also evaluate the strategic investment appraisal process and learn about the mergers and acquisition market. You will benefit from a variety of perspectives and material, preparing you for future study or work in the finance industry.
- Return on Investment
- Raising Equity Finance
- The Strategic Investment process
- Mergers and Acquisitions
Date to be announced
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Evaluate investment risk by calculating the standard deviation of investment returns and use this information to evaluate corporate financing choices
- Describe equity markets and the processes involved in issuing equities
- Explain the strategic investment appraisal process and understand the impact of economic fluctuations and policy on investment decisions
- Discuss the different types of M&A transactions and analyse long term trends and patterns - the ‘merger wave’ phenomenon in particular.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone looking to build a career in finance and understand what’s included in the Postgraduate Certificate of Finance from The Open University.
Who developed the course?
As the UK’s largest university, The Open University (OU) supports thousands of students to achieve their goals and ambitions via supported distance learning, helping to fit learning around professional and personal life commitments.
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020