This course is part of the Introduction to International Business Management ExpertTrack
Understanding Marketing Basics
Grow your marketing skills and learn to connect your business with your target audience.
Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineHow it works
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/monthFind out more
Understanding Marketing Basics
Learn the key marketing principles and apply them to your business ideas.
Marketing is one of the most important functions in a business, determining how your audience connect with your product, and influencing the success of your business.
This course has been designed to take you through the basics of marketing. From the key concepts to marketing plans and strategies, you’ll develop the core marketing skills you need to grow a business.
Discover the importance of customer segmentation and how to choose the right target market
On this course, you’ll learn the techniques needed to profile and break down customer groups into segments. By using customer segmentation, you’ll be able to market your product around the needs of your target audience.
Lay the groundwork with the principles of the marketing mix
The marketing mix makes up the core foundation of every marketing endeavor. It consists of the 4Ps of marketing: Product, Price, Promotion, and Place.
This course will take you through each part of the mix to help you identify the key features and how to utilise them when developing your business.
International marketing: is it that different?
Different markets, just like individual customers, have their own wants, needs, and perceptions. It’s crucial to understand the distinctions between domestic and foreign markets to have the best chance of success.
You’ll compare the key differences between domestic and international marketing to learn how to approach expansion from a marketing perspective.
By the end of this course, with your new marketing skills in tow, you’ll be able to begin piecing together effective marketing plans and strategies to tackle different customer groups and markets.
What topics will you cover?
- What is Marketing?
- Customers and Markets
- The Marketing Mix
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the key concepts in the study of marketing.
- Compare the key differences between domestic and international marketing
- Explain the principles of the marketing mix
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in understanding more about marketing and how to use marketing effectively within businesses.
This may also be of extra interest to anyone studying business at degree level or business at level 3.
Who will you learn with?
I am a Tutor in Business Management at the University of Kent, and have been working within higher education for almost 20 years. I also work as a consultant and run my own consulting boutique.
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn