Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Sweet Tooth: Understanding Sugar and the Body with BBC Good Food
Understand how high sugar intake can impact health and wellbeing
High sugar consumption affects not only your weight but your energy and mind. However, it can be difficult to navigate the different types of sugar and how to modify your diet to reduce your intake.
On this four-week course from BBC Good Food, you’ll understand the real effects of sugar on the body, how to spot hidden sugars in the foods you buy, and how to create delicious and nutritious sugar-free and low-sugar meals.
You’ll investigate how sugar impacts your health and wellbeing, and whether it’s possible to have sugar as part of a healthy diet.
Discover the truth about natural vs artificial sweeteners
You’ll explore the difference between good and bad sugar to understand their effects as well as comparing real and artificial sweeteners.
With this knowledge, you’ll know which sugars and sugar substitutes to choose from in your diet.
Be inspired to create sugar-free and low-sugar recipes
On the course, you’ll reflect on sugar quality, quantity, and sources in everyday meals. This will help you adapt recipes to use more natural sugars or reduce sugar load altogether.
By the end of the course, you’ll have researched and collected sugar-free and low-sugar recipes that maintain taste and nutritious value.
Sweet tooth: understanding sugar and the body with BBC Good Food explores the role of sugar in the diet and how, if needed, to reduce your sugar load in a balanced and healthy way. This course looks at how sugar is used in the body, how it affects the body and the impact of high sugar consumption on one’s health and wellbeing. You’ll learn about the different kinds of sugars and sweeteners available, which options are the healthiest; how to manage sugar cravings and how to create lower sugar recipes that still taste delicious.
You’ll also learn about:
• the difference between healthy and unhealthy sugars
• the effect of sugar on the body
• sugar substitutes: which ones to choose and which to avoid
• the difference between real and artificial sweeteners
• how to manage sugar cravings
• tips and tricks to reduce sugar load in the diet
• how to prepare low sugar and sugar free recipes
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Assess the difference between healthy and unhealthy sugars
- Investigate the effect of sugar on the body
- Classify sugar substitutes: which ones to choose and which to avoid
- Compare the difference between real and artificial sweeteners
- Explore ways to reduce your sugar load and prepare low-sugar and sugar-free recipes
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in reducing their sugar intake.
You may be a health enthusiast, diabetic or sugar intolerant, or looking to cook more nourishing meals for your family.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends