Improve your work by supporting your arguments with expert opinion
This online course from Coventry University introduces why and how we use other peoples’ work to improve our own writing.
You will develop effective reading and note-taking strategies to help you identify appropriate sources and use and cite the information you find in a range of academic tasks.
- Introduction to different types of academic text
- Using reading lists to find appropriate texts for your task
- Expand your vocabulary range
- Reading academic texts to find key information
- Note-taking skills
- The mechanics of referencing
- Language for incorporating sources into your writing
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop appropriate reading strategies in order to successfully navigate a range of texts.
- Produce effective notes from reading and use these to respond appropriately to academic tasks.
- Identify relevant information from academic reading texts and use and cite it appropriately in a range of academic tasks.
- Identify the meaning of academic vocabulary from context.
Who is the course for?
This course is for students on the Coventry University pre-sessional English award. It is relevant for students who will be continuing their studies online and on-campus.
Please note that the staff described in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below may be subject to change.