- Duration3 weeks
- Weekly study2 hours
- Extra BenefitsFrom $69
Vaccine Development: Finding A Vaccine for COVID-19 and Future Pandemics
Explore the impact of vaccines on infectious diseases and AMR
This course will provide healthcare professionals with a deeper understanding of the role and development process for a COVID-19 vaccine and the value of vaccine intervention within the patient pathway.
Discover how new vaccines are developed
Vaccines are instrumental in protecting people against infectious diseases and antimicrobial resistance (AMR). The current situation with COVID-19 has highlighted the importance of vaccines and the difficulty in developing them in a timely but safe manner.
On this course, you’ll learn about the role and development process for new vaccines, from manufacturing to vaccine safety and testing.
You’ll consider the value of vaccine intervention within the patient pathway, and learn how to assess the efficiency of a vaccine for preventing infection or disease.
Find out more about the COVID-19 vaccine development process
The challenges of vaccine development have never been more apparent to the public than during this global pandemic.
As you explore how vaccines are used to control pandemics, you’ll examine the current COVID-19 vaccines in development and learn how they’re being produced and tested.
Explore the latest vaccine research with the British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (BSAC)
This course offers the chance to learn from BSAC’s global faculty of experts who will provide up-to-date content and insights on their individual areas of expertise.
Providing a number of courses on FutureLearn, BSAC are experienced in providing engaging and informative online courses for healthcare professionals around the world to improve their practical skills and understanding.
- Why and when new vaccines are developed
- How vaccines are developed and manufactured
- How vaccines are tested to ensure they are safe prior to being deployed
- How vaccines are assessed to see if they are effective at preventing infection or disease
- The role of vaccines in controlling infectious disease outbreaks and pandemics
- The different COVID-19 vaccine candidates to date and how they are being developed and tested
Who is this accredited by?
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Discuss why and when new vaccines are developed and identify the characteristics of an ideal vaccine
- Describe how new vaccines are developed and manufactured
- Explain how vaccine safety is assessed and monitored
- Explore the difference between vaccine efficacy and effectiveness, and understand how these are measured
- Identify how vaccines are used to control outbreaks and pandemics
- Investigate the different COVID-19 vaccine candidates and how they are being developed and tested
Who is the course for?
This course is for healthcare professionals working in any setting and individuals interested in gaining more knowledge on vaccines and how they save lives.
It would also appeal to anyone interested in the development of a vaccine for COVID-19.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #VaccinesCovid to talk about this course on social media.