By the end of the ExpertTrack, you’ll be able to...
- Describe the effect that different forms of payment will have on an organisation’s bank balance.
- Discuss the role the payroll function plays within the business.
- Explore the business Cashbook as well as Petty cash and see how they are maintained
- Identify the risk of errors arising and the need for the journal to correct these errors.
- Evaluate VAT, how it works and who is subjected to it.
- Discuss how returns of goods are dealt with from both the seller and the buyer’s perspective.
- Define common terms used in accounting including capital income, capital expense, revenue income and revenue expense.
Introduction to accounting
- The fundamentals of business, accounting and the financial statements
- Accounting systems - business transactions & documents
- Accounting systems - books of prime entry
Accounting for transactions - basic principles
- Introduction to double entry bookkeeping
Ledger accounting and double entry bookkeeping
- Ledger accounting
Ledger accounts to the financial statements
- Ledger accounting - balancing off the ledger accounts
- Preparing a trial balance
- Preparing the financial statements
Credit sales, VAT, discounts and returns
- Credit sales
- VAT on sales
- Discounts on sales
- Sales returns
Credit purchases, VAT, discounts and returns
- Credit purchases
- VAT on purchases
- Discounts on purchases
- Purchase returns
Accounting for inventory in stock
- Accounting for inventory
- Inventory valuation
- Closing inventory, opening inventory and double entries
Subsidiary ledger and control accounts
- The general ledger and subsidiary accounts
- Sales and purchase returns
- Control accounts and reconciliations
Errors and suspense accounts
- The journal: new entries within
- Reconciling the cash book to the bank statements
The banking system
- The banking system
- Task 1: Double entry bookkeeping and ledger accounting
- Task 2: Ledger accounting, the trial balance and preparing financial statements
- Task 3: Reconciliations and testing various controls
- Final assessment
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Kaplan UK is a leading international provider of educational and career services. Building on a rich heritage of more than 50 years of training accountants and financial professionals, Kaplan UK serves more than 48,000 students a year, both based in the UK and from overseas, who train for AAT, CIMA, ACCA and ICAEW qualifications.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends