By the end of the microcredential, you’ll be able to...
- Apply photographic techniques to create interesting images in a genre of your choice
- Produce high quality digital images using a combination of manual methods and editing software
- Demonstrate knowledge of the internal workings of modern cameras (including smart phones) and how they create images
- Develop your own photographic style and give constructive feedback on others
- Identify different photographic genres and the most effective techniques used in each
You’ll have access to our online welcome area where you’ll be able to start conversations with your fellow learners and read any announcements or information relating to your microcredential.
From 29 Mar 2021
Digital Photography: Creating a Professional Portfolio
Learn to make beautiful digital images from scratch with anything from your camera phone to a professional DSLR
10 hours per week
Once you’ve successfully completed the microcredential, you’ll receive your academic credits from The Open University.
10 UK credits at Undergraduate level from The Open University
Credits are awarded on passing the final assessment. The assessment requires you submit a panel of images in a genre of your choice and a written Statement of Intent as part of a cohesive portfolio of work.
Find out how credits work and where you can use them in our FAQs.
A Certificate in Photography from The Royal Photographic Society
The certificate is free to members of the Society or available for an additional £12 for non-members.
This course provides the knowledge and skills to help amateur photographers take the next steps towards professional photography. Creating a portfolio of work that explores an explicit photographic intent is a requirement for a number of distinctions, qualifications and recognitions, including the RPS Associateship Distinction (ARPS).
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
- LocationMilton Keynes, UK
- World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020