The International Platform on Sport and Development
Sport is a cost-effective tool for promoting international development and peacebuilding. The United Nations has recognised it as an ‘enabler of development’ in Agenda 2030, the plan of action that includes the Sustainable Development Goals. Organisations worldwide are using sport to work on issues ranging from gender equality and education to employment and conflict resolution.
The International Platform on Sport and Development (sportanddev) is the leading global hub for organisations and individuals using sport for social, economic and environmental objectives. It operates an online platform for sharing knowledge, building good practice, facilitating coordination and creating partnerships.
This platform has more than 1,000 registered organisations and provides news, commentary articles, research, learning tools, networks and job opportunities. sportanddev also offers other services such as an online learning course and consultancies. sportanddev is operated by the Swiss Academy for Development, a centre of excellence for sport and development. The organisation uses sport and play to empower disadvantaged children and young people in Switzerland and internationally to become healthy, educated and employed citizens.
sportanddev is governed by its Steering Board. Members are governments, intergovernmental organisations, sports federations and non-governmental organisations headquartered in four continents:
- The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- The Commonwealth Secretariat
- The Foundation of Sport and Development and Peace
- The Laureus Sport for Good Foundation
- The Norwegian Olympic and Paralympic Committee and Confederation of Sports
- Reach Out To Asia
- The Union of European Football Associations (UEFA)
- German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) (observer)