Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This online course explored the many ways that we benefit from the natural world through ecosystem services. Learners explored the different ways we value nature, including whether we should put a monetary value on natural services.
2 weeks, 3 hours per week
Professor Tim Lenton
Chair in Climate Change/Earth System Science
University of Exeter
- Describe the concept of 'valuing nature’
- Compare different types of services that ecosystems provide
- Assess the moral and political dilemmas associated with valuing ecosystems
- Apply your understanding of ecosystem services to peatlands, coral reefs and rainforests
- Identify key ecosystem services in your place
- Investigate the best ways to manage and preserve ecosystems and their services
Putting a monetary value on nature
- What are ecosystem services and who benefits from them?
- Environmental Economics
- How much is the Earth worth?
- Debates, dilemmas and politics
Ecosystem services in action
- Local Scale - Valuing ecosystems in your area
- Regional Scale - South-West of England
- National Scale - Coral Reefs
- International Scale - REDD+ and saving the rainforests
Issued on 15th July 2018
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: