Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This online course provided an introduction to the architecture of Mario Botta, one of the most famous contemporary architects. The following topics were addressed in the course: What does it mean to be an architect?; Architecture and geography: the city, habitation and the community; Sacred architecture and restoration; Architecture, design and textiles; Mario Botta's masters; Mario Botta's works; the Academy of Architecture in Mendrisio as an example of a humanistic approach to architecture.
4 weeks, 4 hours per week
Managing director of eLab - eLearning Lab
Università della Svizzera Italiana (USI)
- Develop critical thinking about some basic concepts in architecture
- Identify the relationships among architecture and other arts and disciplines
- Describe the architect’s work
- Explain the relationship between the concepts of living, city and collectivity
- Develop a personal conception of the architect's work based on Mario Botta’s approach
- Describe the philosophy of the foundation of the Academy of Architecture in Mendrisio and of some other works by Mario Botta
- Reflect on what does it mean to "build" an architect
- Identify some of the most important works of Mario Botta
- Reflect on a humanistic approach to architecture
- Reflect on contemporary architecture
- Identify the architects who most influenced Mario Botta's works
- What does it mean to be an architect?
- Architecture and geography: the city, house and collectivity, the example of Venice
- Sacred architecture and restoration
- Architecture and the other arts
- Architecture, design and textiles
- Mario Botta and his masters
- Works of Mario Botta: the “Stone flower” on the Monte Generoso
- Works of Mario Botta: the Academy of Architecture and the Theatre of Architecture in Mendrisio as examples of a humanistic approach to architecture
Issued on 17th January 2022
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: