Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This online course explored basic concepts of dating human fossils. It covered topics including introduction to human evolution, principles of dating human fossils, applications and limitations of dating methods, Radiocarbon dating, Uranium-series dating, Electron Spin Resonance dating, application of dating technologies to archaeological sites and the impact of dating upon current perspectives of human evolution.
2 weeks, 3 hours per week
Professor Rainer Grün
Director of the Australian Research Centre for Human Evolution
- Describe the basic principles of three dating methods
- Explain why dating is not always reliable
- Discuss the importance of dating for human evolution
- Explore the ever-changing reconstruction of human evolution
- Reflect upon how new discoveries challenge existing knowledge
- Introduction to human evolution
- How dating works (methods available)
- Principles of radiocarbon, U-series and ESR dating
- The specific challenges of dating valuable human fossils
- Dating controversies
- How dating changed the story of human evolution
- Explore examples from around the world
Issued on 17th January 2022
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: