Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This online course explored music, mind and the brain and how music and emotions work together to give us the thrill of listening to a great song. We looked at what it is about music that makes us feel things and how music makes us feel emotion because it plays with our expectations. Musicians play with these expectations when writing songs.
2 weeks, 3 hours per week
Dr Tim Byron
- Explore the psychology of emotions as they relate to music
- Explain the basis by which music manipulates our expectations of music to evoke emotions
- Reflect on how musical emotional experiences are influenced by our differing expectations in specific musical examples
- Why does music make us feel things?
- Why do we feel things in the first place? What are emotions and moods, exactly?
- How do emotions work?
- What is it about music that makes us feel things? How do musicians set up expectations?
- Why should they make you expect anything? How do different expectations lead to emotions?
Issued on 17th January 2022
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: