Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This online course considered key challenges of 21st Century education. The course covered topics including; what education means in an era where big data and key performance indicators are key; ways in which education can be linked to economic progress; equality and diversity in the classroom and whether the purpose of education has changed in the 21st century. Participants reflected on their own schooling experiences as well as looking at possible educational alternatives for the future.
4 weeks, 4 hours per week
Professor David Hall
Head of the Graduate School of Education
University of Exeter
- Reflect on your own educational experiences and consider how these might relate to contemporary concerns
- Describe some of the major changes which have occurred in education in recent years and also identify thoughts, ideas and practices which might have remained the same/similar over time
- Discuss forms of alternative education which are practiced in current education systems
- Investigate some of the affordances of technology and creativity in education
- Explore possibilities for social justice in the current education system
- Evaluate a range of perspectives to identify some alternative answers to the big questions asked about contemporary and future education
- What education means in an era where assessment rules and where big data and key performance indicators are key.
- In what ways education is now routinely linked to economic progress.
- Whether the purpose of education has changed in the 21st century.
- What positive alternatives exist to challenge dominant instrumental thinking? How have these been enacted and how can we learn from them in our own educational thinking?
- Whether education can be considered as a business or corporate activity?
- Other visions of education including social justice.
Issued on 29th September 2019
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: