Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This course introduced a range of sociolinguistic research methods and explored what these methods tell us about individual sense of identity. It also covered their real-world impact on social factors like gender, social class, and national affiliation.
4 weeks, 4 hours per week
University of York
- Describe what is meant by accent and dialect and how attitudes to these are arbitrary
- Reflect upon stereotypes about accent and dialect, and how these impact on real-world interactions
- Develop a better understanding of the approaches used within Sociolinguistic research
- Explore recent developments in the field of Sociolinguistics
- Introduction to the study of language attitudes
- How do you measure attitudes?
- What is the relationship between language and identity?
- Why language attitudes matter
Issued on 20th October 2019
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: