Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This course considered the rich and diverse range of information available online, exploring methods for assessing information and the effective use of search tools. Through exercises and discussion, learners were challenged to think critically about the information that they find online.
2 weeks, 2 hours per week
Director of the Leeds Institute for Teaching Excellence and Innovation
University of Leeds
average test score
- Assess and record your current level of knowledge regarding searching and researching online.
- Identify and discuss your search engine of choice.
- Explore methods of using search tools more effectively to locate appropriate sources.
- Perform web searches using different ‘operators’ and advanced search options.
- Discuss the benefits of using a wide range of online sources for researching subjects.
- Demonstrate effective use of multiple sources to contribute information in a collaborative environment.
- Assess the quality and appropriateness of information found online to help determine its validity and contribute an example to the discussion.
- Identify sources which need to be up-to-date and relevant in order to be of use when researching. Demonstrate an understanding of some of the core principles of how to critically assess a source.
- Explore an information journey and produce a timeline relating to a topic of your choice.
- Assess your post-course knowledge of researching by participating in the test which concludes the course.
- Searching effectively online using a variety of search engines and tools
- Combining information from multiple sources, blending online and offline materials to aid research
- Sharing research to collaboratively develop a broader understanding of topics
- Assessing and evaluating information: considering the authority, timeliness and relevance of sources to ensure validity
- Critical thinking: utilising information and providing context to research to aid the drawing of conclusions
Issued on 14th February 2017
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This learner has not verified their identity. The certificate and transcript do not imply the award of credit or the conferment of a qualification from University of Leeds.
Free online course: