- Duration6 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineTry this course for free
- Extra BenefitsFrom $74
Health and Wellbeing in the Ancient World
Understand Greek and Roman approaches to health and well-being
What did being healthy in ancient Rome or Greece look like? How can we tell what well-being meant in ancient times?
This online course will help you investigate these questions, using both literary and archaeological evidence, to uncover details of real life in ancient societies.
We will divide the body up into organs and systems, using each to explore ancient theories on the structure and function of the human body.
We will discover what ancient societies thought about topics that we still wrestle with today – from the relationship between mind and body, to sexuality, ageing and gender.
- What is health? Ancient and modern perspectives on health and disease
- Medicine, religion and magic
- Using online resources
- Vision: theories of sight, approaches to eye disease, including drugs and surgery
- Body modifications
- Diet and digestion
- Human waste: using evidence from toilets and sewers
- Conception and birth: theories and practices
- Ideal bodies and disabled bodies
- The health of the army: recruiting and treating soldiers
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop confidence in exploring the variety of fields that constitute classical studies.
- Explore and become familiar with open-access resources for classical studies.
- Develop the ability to critically analyse primary sources.
- Apply and gain skills in analysing complex problems based on fragmentary evidence.
- Engage with contemporary interpretations and scholarly debates.
Who is the course for?
There are no special requirements for this course, but an interest in the ancient world or classics might be useful.
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
- LocationMilton Keynes, UK
- World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLHealthAncientWorld to talk about this course on social media.