- Duration3 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- Extra BenefitsFrom $69
Antimicrobial Stewardship in Veterinary Practice
Learn how to improve antimicrobial stewardship as a veterinary nurse or surgeon
Vets and human health professionals both have a responsibility to address the challenge of antimicrobial stewardship. Veterinary nurses, surgeons and pharmacists need the skills to prescribe antibiotics rationally and responsibly.
On this interactive course, you’ll challenge the norms of veterinary prescribing and gain the tools needed to introduce good antimicrobial stewardship practices in your own context. You will explore the challenges of monitoring responsible medicine use and relevant solutions. You will gain the confidence needed to instil change in your own veterinary practice.
What topics will you cover?
- Risks for and mechanisms of antimicrobial resistance (AMR)
- Veterinary prescribing behaviour, antimicrobial use and AMR: external influences and internal motivations
- Species-specific challenges to good antimicrobial stewardship
- Clinical governance and monitoring antimicrobial prescribing patterns
- Evidence-based veterinary medicine and best-practice prescribing
- Antimicrobial stewardship in practice: Strategies for motivating change towards more responsible antimicrobial use
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain the importance of and reflect on their responsibility for antimicrobial stewardship within their local context, in relation to the big picture of One Health, antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and preventative healthcare
- Evaluate the risks for AMR development and transmission globally and within their local context, and the relationship between prescribing behaviour and AMR development
- Reflect on the internal and external, systemic and human factors that influence their current prescribing practices within their local context and identify opportunities for change
- Evaluate current antimicrobial use and stewardship within the veterinary practices in which they work and engage with the challenges to responsible antimicrobial use
- Develop and lead strategies to motivate good antimicrobial stewardship practices and implement interventions to increase effective prescribing
Who is the course for?
This course is for veterinary surgeons, nurses and pharmacists with a basic clinical knowledge of antimicrobial prescribing practice. The course has a focus on the UK context but can be applied internationally.
See all FutureLearn Reviews
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #VetAMS to talk about this course on social media.