Weekly study4 hours
Beyond Diagnosis: Is Psychiatric Diagnosis helpful?
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Explore the benefits and drawbacks of psychiatric diagnosis
The issue of medical diagnosis in mental health has always been contentious, with many professionals questioning the reliability and validity of psychiatric diagnosis.
On this course, you’ll get an introduction the history, practice and functions of psychiatric diagnosis.
You’ll find out about some of the benefits of psychiatric diagnosis, as well as the possible negative outcomes.
You’ll understand the principal criticisms of psychiatric diagnosis, including validity, utility and underlying theoretical assumptions.
You’ll explore some of the possible alternatives to psychiatric diagnosis.
- The nature of psychiatric diagnosis.
- The practice and uses of psychiatric diagnosis.
- The controversies surrounding the benefits and possible negative consequences of psychiatric diagnosis.
- Possible alternatives to psychiatric diagnosis.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe what psychiatric diagnosis is, and the current debates and issues surrounding it.
- Describe the practice and uses of psychiatric diagnosis
- Explain the benefits of psychiatric diagnosis
- Explain the possible negative consequences of psychiatric diagnosis
- Summarise the main criticisms of psychiatric diagnosis
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone with an interest in mental health and psychology, but may be of particular interest to health and social care professionals.