What topics will you cover?
Week 1 - financial accounting and reporting
- The reasons and objectives of management and financial accounting, including stewardship, control and accountability
- Key terminology including income and expenses, assets and liabilities, profit and loss statements and the balance sheet
Week 2 - essential numerical skills
- Intermediate numerical skills including BODMAS, ratios, percentages, fractions and negative numbers
- The test of reasonableness and the table of equivalencies
- Manipulating equations and formulas
Week 3 - double-entry and the balance sheet
- Business entity and the dual aspect concepts
- The relationship between the accounting equation and double-entry bookkeeping
- Recording transactions in the appropriate ledger accounts using the double-entry bookkeeping system
- Simple balance sheets in a vertical format
- Balancing off accounts at the end of an accounting period
- Preparing a trial balance
- T accounts, debits and credits
- Double-entry and the profit and loss account
- The effect of profit on the accounting equation
Week 4 - accounting
- Income and expense accounts
- Accounting for closing stock
- The account equation and double-entry rules
- Trial balance nominal ledger accounts
Get extra benefits, upgrade this course. For $39 you’ll get:
Upgrading will mean you get unlimited access to the course.
If you’re taking a course for free you have access to the course for its duration + 14 days, regardless of when you join. If you upgrade the course you have access for as long as the course exists on FutureLearn.
Access to tests
When you upgrade you’ll have access to any tests during the course.
To receive a Certificate of Achievement you need to take any tests and score over 70%. You don’t get access to tests if you choose to take a course for free.
A Certificate of Achievement
Upgrading means you’ll receive a Certificate of Achievement when you complete the course.
To receive a Certificate of Achievement you need to mark 90% of the steps on the course as complete, and score over 70% on any course tests.
Share this course
Use the hashtag #flbookkeeping to join and contribute to social media conversations about this course