- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
Business Continuity Management and Crisis Management: An Introduction
Get to grips with business continuity management and crisis management
On this course, you will have the opportunity to learn about the role of business continuity management (BCM) and crisis management (CM) in helping organisations plan for and respond to major disruption.
You will explore the complex continuity and crisis risks faced by public, private and third sector organisations.
By considering the evolution and reasons behind the development of modern BCM and CM, you will have the opportunity to learn how, as protective disciplines, BCM and CM are now vital parts of an organisation’s risk management capability.
- What is a BCM?
- What is CM?
- BCM theory
- CM theory
- Drivers for BCM and CM
- BCM then and now
- Recent incidents/crises: private, public and third sector case studies
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Compare and contrast what makes a 'business continuity incident’ vs a ‘crisis’
- Explain BCM and CM and their contribution to an organisation’s overall enterprise risk management
- Describe the constituent activities within a typical BCM and CM programme
- Explain the drivers and rationale (the business case) for BCM and CM
- Explore the roots and evolution of BCM and CM disciplines as influenced by evolving business practices and technology
- Explore the broad scope of threats to modern private, public and third sector organisations through a selection of recent case studies
Who is the course for?
This course is for people interested in understanding crisis management and business continuity from a global perspective.
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!
How do degrees work on FutureLearn?
Which program and degree is this course part of?
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #businesscontinuitymanagement to talk about this course on social media.