Weekly study3 hours
The Business of Film
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Find out how movies are funded, made and marketed
Making a film is a creative exploit, but just like any other business, the aim is also to make money.
This online course will show you how. It has been created with Pinewood Studios – the leading provider of studio services to the global screen-based industries.
Using the value chain concept and independent film case studies, it provides a practical, in-depth exploration of key business decisions.
It asks: why do films fail? Why are intellectual property and copyright important? Why do films get public funding? And what is the relationship between marketing, box office returns and film success?
Week 1: Introduction to the business of film Introduction to the course, educator, experts and why study the film business considering why films matter, the main challenges, and introduction to the film value chain which is a key theme throughout the course.
Week 2: Development - where do films come from? Exploring the development process, who is involved, why films don’t make it, understanding Intellectual property and copyright, while introducing the case studies that will be used throughout the course.
Week 3: Distribution - where do films go? Understanding the film value chain, how it is built, what are the elements, who are key in distribution, marketing and box office returns.
Week 4: Finance: how are films paid for? How to attract finance for your film, through listening to experts and drawing on case studies, while understanding the funding avenues available and your responsibilities.
Week 5: Production – the cost and complexity of films A practical look at how films are made, and the questions as a producer you should be asking, to ensure that smooth running of your production.
Week 6: The Filmmaker as Entrepreneur Reinforcing the learning outcomes of the previous weeks and considering the skills required to operate in the film sector into the future.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate and understand the contribution of film to the economy and how this business model is changing in the digital era.
- Apply and understand the processes in selecting and selling a film idea within the changing concept of ownership in a digital world.
- Apply and understanding the impact emerging versus traditional platforms has on the distribution and marketing of film.
- Demonstrate and understanding how films are financed and the opportunities emerging investment platforms has on film finance.
- Assess and understand the function and components of film making.
- Identify and understanding the impact of future trends and change on the film industry and its stakeholders.
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at those who already have a basic understanding of film production.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020