Weekly study4 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Cancer in the 21st Century: The Genomic Revolution
Develop your understanding of cancer causation and treatment
Cancer Research UK estimates that 1 in 2 people in the UK will be diagnosed with cancer during their lifetime. So understanding cancer, and the development of new treatments, is of intrinsic interest to us all.
On this six-week course from the University of Glasgow, you’ll gain fascinating insights into the developments that are transforming the way we understand and treat cancer.
Explore current methods for detecting and treating cancer
In order to move forward and develop new cancer detection and treatment methods, we need to understand where we’ve come from and where we are now.
You’ll start this course by learning how cancer develops in cells and the multistep process of cancer before assessing the different subtypes of cancer and how they are currently diagnosed.
Learn how genomic science is used to understand cancer
The genome holds a lot of information, some of which can indicate the possibility of cancer developing in a person.
This course will take you through how genetics can influence cancer, looking at the family pedigree and inherited predispositions to cancer. You’ll also look at cancer causation, from DNA damage and repair to potential environmental factors.
Discover the link between genetics and effective cancer therapies
The cancer therapies of tomorrow are based on the discoveries of today with cutting-edge science paving the way for more effective treatments.
You’ll delve into the future of cancer therapies and recent developments in this field of medicine. From targeted therapies to personalised cancer medicine, you’ll explore current research efforts as well as the economics surrounding these new treatments.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic cell biology as it relates to the development of cancer
- Discuss factors contributing to the development of cancer including environmental and genetic aspects
- Identify current approaches used to identify and treat cancer
- Reflect on strategies which may be used in future cancer therapies and the implications for society
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in genomic medicine and the clinical impact of differences in our DNA.
The course will be particularly useful for healthcare professionals, patients, and carer groups.
Who developed the course?
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.