Skip to 0 minutes and 11 seconds Hi everyone, thank you for your interest in our course. Admittedly there are so many things we can talk about with Chinese culture and information on contemporary China is becoming more accessible given the advance of technology and transportation. This four week course will however defamiliarise your experience of Chinese culture and help you uncover the tension conflicts and also convergence within Chinese cultural landscape and how they intersect with nature s urbanisation globalisation and political movements you don’t need to know the language or culture but you need to be curious and reflective. Join us to find out more.
Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $59
Many Faces: Understanding the Complexities of Chinese Culture
Look beyond the clichés and stereotypes of art and literature in Chinese culture
Chinese culture has not been explored in as much depth as Chinese history and politics. By uncovering the richness and diversity of Chinese culture, you can gain a broader understanding of modern China as a whole.
This course by the University of Exeter covers three important aspects of Chinese culture. Learn how the concept of the ‘noble hero’ is portrayed on cultural and political platforms. Examine the tension created by traditional and modern values in Chinese landscape art, and analyse literature created by marginalised groups like immigrants.
- Cliché and stereotypes: how to understand contemporary Chinese culture?
- The continuation and gap: the image of the ‘noble hero’ in both artistic and political fields
- The collision and fusion: literature by the marginalised
- The tension and convergence: contemporary Chinese landscape art
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore new cultural phenomena and trends emerging in Chinese society
- Develop a more contextualized understanding of Chinese culture
- Discuss the act of stereotyping in Chinese culture
- Reflect on how social and cultural landscapes in China have been changed as China experiences an economy boom
- Assess how digitalization has transformed the expression and representation of Chinese culture.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in building their knowledge of Chinese culture and society. You don’t need any prior experience or qualifications.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.