Why join the course?
The course is aimed at the level of students entering university, and seeks to provide an inter-disciplinary introduction to what is a broad field. It engages a number of experts from the University of Exeter and a number of partner organisations.
The course will set contemporary human-caused climate change within the context of past nature climate variability. Then it will take a risk communication approach, balancing the ‘bad news’ about climate change impacts on natural and human systems with the ‘good news’ about potential solutions. These solutions can help avoid the most dangerous climate changes and increase the resilience of societies and ecosystems to those climate changes that cannot be avoided.
Professor Tim Lenton and Dr Damien Mansell hosted an AMA about Climate Change on Reddit on 19th January 2017. You can catch up with the AMA on Reddit to read their responses, and will have the opportunity to ask your own questions in a live Q&A session during the final week of this course.
What topics will you cover?
- Key principles of climate change
- The climate system, feedbacks, cycles and self-regulation
- Ancient and recent past climate change
- Signs of climate change
- How the global carbon cycle is changing
- Making future projections and modelling future scenarios
- The geoengineering dilemma
- Impacts on land systems – the cryosphere
- Impacts on ocean systems - acidification
- Human health and the built environment
- Climate change and food security
- Mitigation and adaptation
- Not in my back yard!
- Welcome to the Anthropocene
- Taking action
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the key principles of climate change
- Explore past climate change
- Identify signs of climate change
- Discuss future projections and modelling future scenarios
- Explain impacts on land and ocean systems
- Explore human health and the built environment
- Discuss solutions and taking action
Who is the course for?
No previous experience or qualifications required.
Buy a personalised, digital and printed certificate and transcript
Certificate of Achievement + transcript
Statement of Participation
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #exClimate to talk about this course on social media.