Learn what climate change is, and how it affects the planet
Climate Change poses an increasing threat to the stability of Earth’s systems. If we want to protect our planet from dangerous and unprecedented change, first we must understand the science behind climate change.
On this course you will explore this science, looking back across 4 billion years of Earth’s history to help you learn the difference between ‘natural’ from ‘human’ induced change; looking to the present to see how the impacts of climate change are already being felt; and finally looking to the future to see what it might hold for our planet.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1 - Feedbacks
- Introduction to Climate Science
- Fundamental feedbacks in the Climate System
- Human drivers of change
Week 2 - Evidence
- Ancient past climate change
- Recent past climate change
- Identifying signs of climate change
Week 3 - Impacts
- Impacts on the Cryosphere
- Impacts on the Oceans
Week 4 - Future
- Modelling future climate projections
- The ‘Anthropocene’ and the ‘Great Acceleration’
- Taking action
Who is the course for?
You don’t need any prior knowledge of climate change, just an interest in science, nature and the environment.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLClimateChangeScience to talk about this course on social media.