Weekly study3 hours
Commercial Photography: Still and Moving Image
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
This free online course is designed to help current or aspiring commercial photographers get to grips with new media and moving image photography.
Understand why personal work is key to commercial photographic success
We’ll begin by looking at the importance of developing your visual sensibility through personal work, where you’re free to push boundaries, make mistakes, pursue your passions and hone your craft.
You’ll then find out how to create work that is new, exciting and individual – whether in advertising, fashion or editorial photography – in order to secure commissions. You’ll be encouraged to consider the complex interplay between individual approaches to practice and client-led work.
Explore the relationship between still and moving image photography
We’ll then explore the relationship between still and moving image in commercial photography, looking at how you can embrace emerging media and potential markets for your work.
We’ll examine the need for a coherent and consistent visual approach across both disciplines; the differences between narrative filmmaking and moving image photography; and the use of video, CGI, animation, illustration and mobile devices. We’ll also consider sound, as well as image, and the technicalities of using a camera to record.
Learn with expert academics and practising commercial photographers
Based on elements of the Photography courses at Norwich University of the Arts, the course will enable you to learn with expert academics, as well as leading commercial photographers, including Andy Earl and Tim Flach.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at people who are already working in commercial photography, either as photographers or assistants, and want to develop their skills.
The course would also be of interest to those wanting to work in, or wishing to learn more, about the world of commercial photography.
Who will you learn with?
James has worked in advertising and editorial photography. He is currently researching commercial photography and the opportunities to monetise personal practice in a rapidly developing industry.
Commercial Photography Still & Moving Image Course Mentor.
Freelance photographer & MA student.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLcommercialphoto to talk about this course on social media.