Communicating Effectively with Vulnerable Children and Young People
Duration 4 weeks
Weekly study 4 hours
Learn child-centred communication strategies to encourage children to talk
Communicating effectively with vulnerable children and young people is not always easy. Despite practitioners and carers knowing this is an important area of their work, research shows that practice is not always as effective as it could be.
This course will enable you to improve your communication skills through techniques which place the child at the heart of the interaction. You’ll examine why a child may become vulnerable and reflect upon the barriers to communication. You’ll also explore activities from pre-verbal to adolescent stages which encourage children to share their feelings.
What topics will you cover?
- Reasons why a child or young person may become vulnerable
- Age-appropriate activities and techniques from the pre-verbal to adolescent stages
- Innovative ways of facilitating communication
- Challenges and barriers to effective communication with vulnerable children and young people
- Levels of vulnerability experienced by a child or young person, including areas of safeguarding
When would you like to start?
Who is the course for?
The course is aimed at anyone working with vulnerable children and young people. It is also suited to foster carers keen to improve their communication skills.
Who will you learn with?
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLchildcommCCP to talk about this course on social media.