- Duration3 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- Extra BenefitsFrom $99
Contract Management: Building Relationships in Business
Contracts are fundamental to all business activities and relationships are fundamental to all contracts.
This free online course will help you understand contract management processes; give you the confidence to develop new contracts; and help you build successful relationships to implement contracts effectively.
Manage contracts and relationships successfully
The course has been developed by the University of Southampton, in association with the Crown Commercial Service, UK Cabinet Office, Civil Service Learning and World Commerce and Contracting (formerly the International Association of Contract & Commercial Management (IACCM)).
Over three weeks, you will realise the importance, complexity and challenges of designing and delivering good contracts. You will learn how your objectives and those of your customer/client can be achieved in an effective way, to minimise possible threats or failures.
The course covers three key themes
Relationship fundamentals: we will explore what can go right or wrong in relationships; examine the rules that govern public and private sector procurement; and ask how you can make sure what you buy (or sell) is what you and your customer/client really needs.
Relationship complexities: we will look at the complex supply chains and networks that are a feature of many contracts, learning how to manage interdependencies and the needs of multiple stakeholders.
What does this mean to you? The final part of the course will bring the above ideas together, using an example scenario (the challenge of building your own house) to put theory into practice.
Learn with expert academics and experienced practitioners
Your guides for the course are Douglas Macbeth, Professor of Purchasing and Supply Chain Management at the University of Southampton; and Tim Cummins, former President of IACCM who has wide and senior management experience in the field.
Each week, you’ll get the chance to hear guest lectures from, and discuss your own ideas with, practitioners from public and private sector organisations around the world.
You can find out how this course helped the career of Laylo, a Contracts Manager at ZTE Investment Foreigner Enterprise, in her learner story.
(Course image: derivative work based on silhouettes © Nevena Radonja/Shutterstock.)
- Commercial relationships and the pitfalls to avoid in contracting
- The rules and regulations that govern business, trade and public procurement and how this can affect behaviour
- Understanding customers and designing a business case and subsequent delivery and support system around their needs
- Contracts exist in chains and networks. Managing interdependency and business relationships
- Ensuring that stakeholders are engaged
- The role of negotiation and how to be in the best position to make Win-Win negotiations a reality
- Managing risk and identifying ‘unknown unknowns’
- Examining what innovation is and how it can be fostered
- Introducing the top attributes of successful contracts and the new skill sets that will be required in the future
- Understand the benefits contract simplification and visualization can bring to your contracting relationships
- Understand why there is a growing use of performance and outcome-based contracting models
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore what can go right or wrong in relationships
- Debate how the rules and regulations that govern public and private sector procurement can affect behaviour
- Identify ways you can ensure that what you buy (or sell) is what you and your customer / client really needs
- Engage in a stakeholder analysis activity by sharing your own ideas and providing feedback on others
- Explore your supplier relationships and compare what your fellow learners are doing more or less of than in your own organisation
- Reflect on what actions you will now take to learn more about the course topics and take the lessons forward into your workplace
Who is the course for?
This free online course is designed for anyone who wants to better understand what is involved in commercial business relationships, and the process of managing contractual agreements.
It is suitable for those working in the public, private and third sectors.
Relationships and contracts are core to all commercial as well as not for profit activities. Managing them well is a core skill for everyone in all aspects of life.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLcontracts to talk about this course on social media.