Skip to 0 minutes and 3 seconds Here we are - the crime fiction section, home to some of the greatest murder mysteries and heists of all time. Have you ever wondered how the authors got away with it - the inspirations, the tactics, what they wanted to achieve? Me too! Come on, I’ll show you what I’ve dug up.
- Duration3 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
Classic Detective Fiction
Are you the next Hercule Poirot? A budding Sherlock Holmes? Embrace your inner Dick Tracy and dive into the world of detective fiction!
Explore the back-stories of some of the earliest examples of crime fiction
This course delves deep into the evolution of the crime fiction genre from the early nineteenth century to the present day with a focus on detective novels. Many of these novels shaped the way we think about reading, and have engaged generations of readers from childhood through to our twilight years.
Did you know that over 2 billion copies of Agatha Christie’s detective novels are estimated to have been sold? 
On this course you will develop advanced skills in analysing and contextualising crime fiction texts from the UK, the US, Australia and beyond.
Join us and embark on the fascinating tale behind the twist.
- The early history of detective fiction
- Detective fiction sub-genres
- Reading detective fiction
- Plots and narrative structures
- Classic detective fiction devices
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Discuss the history of crime fiction and some of the key crime fiction subgenres.
- Explore the key formal, thematic and contextual characteristic of individual crime fiction texts.
- Investigate crime fiction texts in relation to their genre and the idea of genre evolution.
Who is the course for?
This course is made for anyone looking to improve their knowledge of crime fiction.
Avid readers and true crime connoisseurs should find a lot to engage them here.
Who developed the course?
The University of Newcastle is a world-class university distinguished by a commitment to equity and excellence. Ranked in Australia’s Top 10 universities, and 197th in the world (QS rankings, 2021).
- LocationNewcastle, Australia
- World rankingTop 200Source: QS World University Rankings 2021
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please enable all cookies and refresh the page to view this content.