Build a holistic view of your customers
No matter how sophisticated your marketing is, if it doesn’t result in attracting customers, your business is set to fail.
This online course applies fresh thinking to how marketing and selling activities combine to create customers who keep coming back.
You will develop an understanding of how customer relationship management breeds business development success; critically evaluate accepted wisdom on how marketing influences customers; and learn how marketers increasingly draw on powerful information systems to build a holistic view of customers.
- How technologies such as big data, the cloud and open-source are driving the digital economy
- Insight in the context of sales
- How customer insight is enabled by the digital economy
- Tools and technologies that enable businesses to use big data to access and deliver value
- How digital engagement works, and the importance of personalisation
- How the move to digital selling is being enacted across the globe
- Key trends in the digital economy and the impact on customer insight
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate knowledge and critical understanding of how customers behave in the digital economy and describe the role of information systems in creating customer insight
- Apply exchange theory to a range of different business models to create mutual benefit for suppliers and buyers
- Explore and conduct theoretically-informed analysis of decision making in consumer and organisational markets and assess digital marketing communications against research-based criteria
- Apply and use insight-driven selling to improve performance, and engage with relevant ethical issues driven by the digital economy
Who is the course for?
This course is intended for anyone who wants to learn about attracting and retaining customers. No previous experience of studying sales or marketing is required, but some basic knowledge of how businesses work would be beneficial.
Find further information about OU registration, the assessment module and MBA in the entry requirements.
IMPORTANT! If you are aiming to use your study of courses in the Digital Economy program to obtain academic credit, please be aware that the final planned presentation of the Open University Assessment Course BXM871 Managing in the Digital Economy starts July 2020. Please ensure that you allow yourself enough time to obtain all four Certificates of Achievement from courses in the program before registering for the Assessment Course. Details of runs of the relevant FutureLearn courses in 2019 and 2020 are available here.
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
- LocationMilton Keynes, UK
- World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLDEselling to talk about this course on social media.