- Duration5 weeks
- Weekly study2 hours
Designing the Future
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Learn how to apply design thinking to modern problems
Modern life often seems increasingly complex, so it’s no surprise that big companies and communities alike are turning to a new source of inspiration: design. Using design thinking to find new and interesting ways to work through complex issues, designers are helping companies understand customer relations and communities solve local problems. Could design improve your life? Find out with an introduction to different design approaches, and how to apply them, taught by world leaders in the field.
How design operates in contemporary society, and can be used to develop innovative approaches and solutions to a range of issues
Current industry trends, technological developments and their effect upon design
Communication skills to present experience centred design projects
Four design lenses and their associated techniques:
- Strategic design, which situates design within a broad context of policy, regulation, culture and economy
- Service design, which is used by designers to deal with complexity within an organisation or community
- Transdisciplinary design, which brings together people from diverse disciplines in order to create solutions that have technical, aesthetic and social elements
- Transition design, which addresses the need for multi-level, multi-stage change
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Critically discuss how design operates in contemporary society.
- Demonstrate how design can be used to develop innovative approaches and solutions.
- Apply a range of communication skills to present human-centred design projects.
- Reflect upon current industry trends, technological developments and their effect upon design.
Who is the course for?
The course is suitable for both designers and non-designers. You don’t need previous experience in design to be able see how design is used to shape the world, but a strong interest in exploring design thinking will be useful.