Discover the importance of cultural intelligence, or 'CQ', and find out to improve your own cultural intelligence.
Weekly study3 hours
Develop Your Cultural Intelligence
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Grow your cultural intelligence
In a globalised world workplaces are increasingly filled with a mix of people from wide variety of places, with a mix of cultures. Good cultural intelligence (CQ) - the ability to work effectively across cultures - is vital.
On this course you will learn about the key aspects of cultural intelligence and learn different methods for improving your own cultural intelligence. You will explore how cultural intelligence can make all the difference to effectiveness, performance and success in a multicultural and global environment.
What topics will you cover?
- Cultural value orientations or dimensions
- Interest, drive, and motivation to adapt interculturally
- How cultures are similar and different including cultural values
- Awareness and ability to plan in light of one’s cultural understanding
- Adaptability when relating and working interculturally
- Personal cultural intelligence development plan
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Compare your preferred cultural values with other cultural groups
- Engage your interest, drive, and confidence in adapting to diversity and multicultural situations or individuals
- Report your understanding of how cultures and diversities are similar and how they are different
- Explain your awareness and ability to plan for diverse and multicultural interactions
- Evaluate your ability to adapt when relating and working in diverse contexts
- Identify strategies for developing your cultural intelligence
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone working in a mixed culture workplace, you might be university staff, a HR professional, a corporate trainer, working in law enforcement or healthcare.
What software or tools do you need?
No specific software, hardware or other resources are needed to start this course.
Who will you learn with?
I teach at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, USA and facilitate the intercultural development of faculty, staff and students. I am a member of the Purdue University Teaching Academy.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLculturalIQ to talk about this course on social media.