Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $104
Dysphagia: Swallowing Difficulties and Medicines
The course offers an opportunity to network with other learners and with the creators of the course through discussions, graphs and social networking features and to share knowledge with other learners and professionals. By completing this online course participants will be able to describe:
the swallowing process and different causes of swallowing problems
the different types of medicines formulations and how these should be administered to patients
how tablets and capsules are designed to ensure that drugs are appropriately distributed in the body
special considerations which need to be taken into account when giving medicines to older people and children
the law relating to the selection and administration of medicines
how best to administer medicines to patients with dysphagia
You can use the hashtag #FLswallowMed to join and contribute to social media conversations about this course.
We look forward to seeing you on the course.
- Definition and causes of dysphagia
- How to improve medicines administration for patients with dysphagia
- Supporting patients with dysphagia to take their medicines
- Different medicine formulations and the important considerations for patients with dysphagia
- Legal and ethical considerations when administering medicines to patients with dysphagia
- Standardising the approach to reviewing medicines in patients with dysphagia
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the swallowing process and different causes of swallowing problems.
- Describe the different types of medicines formulations and how these should be administered to patients.
- Describe how tablets and capsules are designed to ensure that drugs are appropriately distributed in the body.
- Describe special considerations which need to be taken into account when giving medicines to older people and children.
- Describe the special considerations which are required to administer medicines via enteral tubes.
- Describe the law relating to the selection and administration of medicines.
- Describe how best to administer medicines to patients with dysphagia.
Who is the course for?
There are no requirements for this course, other than an interest in swallowing difficulties and medicines. The course will be of particular interest to carers, nurses and those in the field of medicine
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.