Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
ECG Assessment: an Introduction for Healthcare Providers
Gain an introduction to ECG assessment and ECG interpretation
This free online course will equip you with an introductory understanding of ECG assessment and interpretation, which will support the further hands-on training that is needed to competently perform the ECG test in clinical practice.
Discover the importance of ECG tests
The electrocardiograph (also known as electrocardiogram) or ECG/EKG is a non-invasive diagnostic procedure, commonly used to assess people with known or suspected heart disease, in a variety of healthcare settings.
Competent recording, reading and interpretation are vital to ensure safe and effective care, yet ECGs are commonly undertaken by unqualified and junior staff, who have received little training. With this course, you’ll learn why an EKG test can be so useful, as well as some of the clinical applications of them.
Explore how to record an ECG
Over two weeks, you will be guided through a step-by-step approach to undertaking the procedure, including ECG lead placement, and how to deal with common challenges you may face in obtaining a high-quality ECG reading.
By the time you’re finished, you’ll understand the steps involved in recording a standard 12 lead ECG.
Learn how to read ECG results
As you progress through the course, you will also explore the principles of electrophysiology, and how to recognise a normal heart rhythm, as well as signs of arrhythmia.
You’ll work on your ECG reading skills, learning how to read ECG reports and what various elements mean.
You will learn through demonstrations and interactive animations, and you’ll get to check your knowledge and deepen your understanding through a variety of quizzes and peer discussions.
- What are ECGs and why are they useful?
- How to record an ECG
- Troubleshooting and challenges in obtaining a high quality ECG
- Recognising normal sinus rhythm
- Introduction to arrhythmias
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain the heart’s normal electrical activity and the meaning of the term ‘sinus rhythm’
- Describe an ECG and what it measures
- Discuss the reasons for recording an ECG
- Identify the steps involved in recording a standard 12 lead ECG, including electrode placement and the pre and post-procedure considerations
- Identify problems in obtaining a good quality ECG and suggest solutions to these
- Explain the relationship between the heart’s electrical activity and ECG waveforms
- Summarise the parameters for normal sinus rhythm
- Describe some key features of arrhythmias and their potential impact
Who is the course for?
This course is suitable for a range of existing healthcare providers, including qualified and student nurses, paramedics and support workers. It’s designed to give an introduction to ECG assessments and the process behind it. Anyone interested in ECG interpretation can benefit from this online course.
Endorsers and supporters
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.