- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineTry this course for free
- Extra BenefitsFrom $44
Emotional Intelligence at Work
Explore the meaning of emotional intelligence
What is emotional intelligence, and why is it important? On this course, you’ll explore how emotional intelligence influences not only our relationships with others but also with ourselves.
As well as exploring the origins of emotional intelligence, you’ll also learn about the key theorists who have attempted to define, develop and discuss this fascinating construct.
Discover why emotional intelligence is so important
Emotional intelligence is a sought-after skill. You’ll learn about how it’s different from ‘traditional’ intelligence, as well as how it can be used to develop relationships and guide self-development.
To give a balanced view of the subject, you’ll also look at some of the criticisms of emotional intelligence research.
Develop your emotional intelligence skills
By exploring the emotional intelligence definition and some of the key concepts surrounding it, you can develop your own emotional intelligence skills.
You’ll be able to identify some of the central components of this vital soft skill, and how they can be applied in certain situations.
Understand how emotional intelligence improves performance in the workplace
By the end of this course, you’ll also understand how emotional intelligence at work can be used. You’ll examine ways in which it’s measured, as well as how it can be applied in various organisational settings.
These emotional intelligence examples can help give you context for how it is used in the workplace.
- The origins of emotional intelligence
- The trait, ability and mixed models of emotional intelligence
- How to measure emotional intelligence
- Criticisms of emotional intelligence research
- How emotional intelligence can be applied in organisational settings
- Emotional intelligence interventions
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe and define emotional intelligence and identify its components
- Identify differences between trait, ability and mixed models of emotional intelligence
- Apply the concept of emotional intelligence to a workplace setting
- Demonstrate what makes emotional intelligence different from ‘traditional’ intelligence
- Explain how emotional intelligence can be used to improve inter-personal relationships and guide self-development
- Compare and contrast interventions designed to develop emotional intelligence in the workplace
- Evaluate the strengths and limitations of emotional intelligence research
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone with a professional or personal interest in exploring emotional intelligence in workplace settings. It is suitable for those with a background in business, psychology or with relevant work experience and for those who wish to expand their existing emotional intelligence skills. It is part of the MSc Business and Organisational Psychology, which is accredited by the Association for Business Psychology.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.*
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!