- Duration3 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- Premium course$79
End-of-Life Care for People with Dementia
Find out how to better support people with dementia at the end of life
A range of research has shown that the end-of-life care needs of people with dementia, and their families, are poorly understood and inconsistently addressed.
An awareness of the psychosocial, physical and spiritual needs of the whole person is key to tackling this issue - something that this online course will give you.
You’ll develop the knowledge and understanding that will help you provide better quality support to - and enhance the wellbeing and dignity of - people with dementia towards the end of life. You’ll also learn to better communicate and co-ordinate care with their families.
- Connecting with others
- Advance care planning
- Expressing self
- Wellbeing at the end of life
- Nutrition and hydration
- Symptom management
- Finding meaning
- Specialist support
- Supporting families through grief
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Discuss individualised care, taking into account psycho-social, physical and spiritual needs
- Reflect on how social relationships and communication may be affected in advanced dementia
- Identify symptoms associated with end of life, including recognising and managing pain in people with dementia
- Explain the need to find meaning in the life and death of the person with dementia
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at health and social care professionals. You’ll need a basic level of dementia awareness, which you may have gained in a health or social care setting, working with people with dementia, or through caring for a relative, friend or neighbour.
During the course, you’ll be able to discuss your experiences with other learners and learn from theirs. It may also be useful to you to have a friend or colleague with whom you can discuss and reflect on issues that might arise during the course.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.