English for Academic Purposes: a MOVE-ME Project Course
Duration 6 weeks
Weekly study 4 hours
Acquire the skills to understand and use English for Academic Purposes
Each year thousands of students travel across Europe and the world to follow university courses through English. This can be daunting, even for those who are fluent.
This online course, developed within the MOVE-ME project by UniStraSi, NUI Galway, The Open University and CTI will guide you through the features of academic discourse in English, and enable you to understand and produce written and aural academic texts.
1 ECTS credit is awarded by completing the course, taking the final test and obtaining the Certificate of Achievement.
What topics will you cover?
- Week 1 is an introduction to the MOOC itself and to the concept of ‘academic’ discourse.
- Week 2 focuses on developing skills and strategies when listening to academic talks.
- Week 3 concentrates on developing skills and strategies necessary for reading academic texts.
- Week 5 is devoted to speaking in academic contexts such as how to structure and give academic oral presentations.
- Week 6 is a summary of the course with closing remarks, activities and the final test.
When would you like to start?
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at university students taking part in student mobility programmes in Europe, and anyone following academic courses in English. A minimum B1 knowledge of English is required.
The University for Foreigners of Siena (UniStraSi) is a public university specialized in the teaching of Italian and other languages and in research on language and culture.
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLAcademicEnglish to talk about this course on social media.